This double chocolate Bundt cake has serious history.
It came from my grandmother, who made it for my birthday when I was in high school. She got it from my Great Uncle Harry who baked almost daily. Harry favored over-the-top, decadent desserts, and he nailed it with this one. Harry probably found it in a church cookbook or clipped it from the Chicago Tribune in the early 1980s. He was always trying and sharing new recipes. He would have loved blogging! He reminds me of Sweet Paul, minus the tattoos.
I don’t know the brand of chocolate my grandmother or Harry used in this recipe, but when I make it with grated Ghirardelli’s Twilight Intense Dark Chocolate and Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, I get the rich flavor I remember as a teen.
I have to admit, though, grating chocolate is a pain in the tailpipe. I used a cheese grater, but heard that a potato peeler works wonders as does a food processor, but only if the chocolate is frozen. I can’t vouch for those two methods, but they sound better than mine.
If you aren’t a fan of dark chocolate, I am certain you will fall head over heels for this cake. My husband did. The sweetness of the yellow cake takes the edge off any dark chocolate bite.
The Twilight Delight Chocolate Bundt Cake is extremely moist, yet dense. And, because it is so rich, it doesn’t need a drizzling of chocolate or a sprinkling of powdered sugar. Thanks Harry!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (with or without pudding)
- 1 (3.5 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 (3.5 oz.) bar dark chocolate grated
- 1 (6 oz.) bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine cake mix, pudding, eggs, sour cream, oil, and water in a mixing bowl. Mix well by hand.
- Grate the dark chocolate bar. Then, gently fold in remaining ingredients and scrape sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt cake pan. Spoon batter in and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack for one hour before inverting onto a cake plate. Allow to cool completely before serving, about 2 more hours.